Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Critical Values 2010 Draft

First, a bit about my fantasy league, Critical Values...

Critical Values is a 12-team, fairly standard league.  Our only real customization is scoring passing TDs as 6 points instead of the standard 4 points, that and being a keeper league.  Starting this year, our league gives managers the option to keep up to three players.  In a nutshell, if you keep a player, you have to give up a draft pick two rounds higher than where that player was drafted the previous year.  There are two IR spots on a roster to allow managers to hold onto injured players so that they will still be there to "keep" at the end of the season.  The rest of the roster is, again, standard: QB RB RB WR WR WR TE K DEF BN BN BN BN BN BN

Critical Values is divided up into four divisions, each with three teams.  Every team plays every other division team twice in the regular season, and all non-division teams once.  The playoffs takes place during weeks 14-16.  Six teams advance to the playoffs, four division champs and two wildcards.  The top two seeds are rewarded with a first round bye in the playoffs.

Well, that's my league.  Now, here is how I did in this year's draft:

Pick 1-4: RB Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac)

As I was mock drafting this year, I decided that my dream draft spot was fourth overall because there were only four super-elite running backs in my eyes: Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Ray Rice.  I wasn't too particular on who I would get (CJ or AP would be great, but I'm not too greedy) and I wanted a stronger second round pick than twelfth.  Well, I was lucky enough to get my wish and have the fourth pick, but what was really surprising was seeing the first pick pass up on a running back instead taking Andre Johnson.  Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson went next and I decided to take Maurice Jones-Drew over Ray Rice.  As a Rutgers fan, I have to admit that Rice was rather appealing, but I made the smarter choice and picked the back who wouldn't be fighting with anyone else over goal-line carries.

Pick 2-9: QB Aaron Rodgers (GB)

Yeah, I couldn't believe he was there at the end of round two either, but there he was, and after Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady had all been drafted too!  Going into the draft, I had planned on waiting on a quarterback unless the last elite quarterback (probably Matt Shaub) fell pretty deep.  But here I was staring down who I think is far and above the best fantasy quarterback right now and potentially a fantasy league MVP.  As I told everyone in the draft, I didn't make this pick, they made it for me.

Pick 3-4: WR DeSean Jackson (Phi)

The last running back I really love, Cedric Benson, is still on the board, but if I don't take a wide receiver now, I'll never catch up (that's why I wanted to hold off on a quarterback).  I took D-Jack over last year's surprise fantasy star, Miles Austin, much to the criticism of my brother (who is the commissioner of our league by the way).  But I stand by this pick.  I had Austin right up there with Jackson on my rankings, but something about Austin worries me.  I suppose I don't trust Tony Romo very much, and I don't like the fact that Roy Williams, and now Dez Bryant, will be fighting to get the ball.  Seeing the Cowboys' offensive line during preseason has confirmed to me that I made the right choice.

Pick 4-9: WR Mike Sims-Walker (Jac)

By now, Benson is gone which takes care of the second tier of running backs in my eyes.  I'm confident someone from the third tier will be around later, so I pick another receiver and avoid being too far behind in that scramble.  I expect a lot from Sims-Walker this year.  He has the talent, he has a quarterback who can get the ball to him, and he doesn't have any other big time receivers to contend with.  Sims-Walker is a solid WR2 with upside.  I'm hoping I see the upside this year!

Pick 5-4: RB Ronnie Brown (Mia)

Arian Foster was taken in the fourth round (and this was before he broke out in preseason).  You can imagine what the running back options look like right about now.  Brown is the last running back I have listed in my third tier still on the board, and though it's a round earlier than I'd like, I have to snag him.  He's a bit of a flight risk, having had season ending injuries in both of the last two years.  But when he's healthy, he's a solid RB2.  I had him on my team last year, and in ten healthy games, he averaged 12 points per game.  Not too shabby.  I'm hoping he shakes off the injury bug this year and solidifies my fantasy backfield.



Pick 6-9: TE Owen Daniels (Hou)

Somehow I knew this would happen: a choice between taking a better TE or WR3.  I think Daniels is falling under the radar this year for two reasons.  First, he was injured last year and missed a lot of the season causing many in the fantasy world to forget just how good he was.  Second, the comfortable depth at tight end this year means you don't have to grab one too early.  He may not be quite 100% for week one, but I expect him to start producing big numbers in no time.  Anyway, he was the last one of my first tier tight ends still on the board, and I think my options for a third wide receiver will still be strong seven picks later.

On a side note, Houston's offense looks terrifying this year in preseason, and the names to target are Matt Shaub, Andre Johson, Arian Foster, and Owen Daniels.

Pick 7-4: WR Santana Moss (Was)

Moss is one of the unfortunate fantasy stories in the NFL.  He has all the talent to be an elite wide receiver, but hasn't been in a very good situation in Washington.  Even so, Moss managed over 900 yards receiving last year, though his touchdwon total was lamentably low (I should know, I owned him).  However, with the addition of Donovan McNabb, I think that a 1,000 yard, 8 touchdown season for Moss is within reach.  I am a little nervous about the rest of this offense being good enough that Moss doesn't constantly get double covered, but the team has two good receiving tight ends, and will likely find a running game somewhere in that backfield.  If another wide receiver can have some chemistry with McNabb, Moss could be in for his best season in a long time.  I see Moss as a solid WR3, again, with some potential upside.

Pick 8-9: WR Dez Bryant (Dal)

I was eyeing C.J. Spiller at the start of this round.  Alas, he was grabbed by my brother just four picks earlier.  It's a shame, because Spiller has a real opportunity to be a star in Buffalo with Jackson and Lynch both out for a few weeks.  I don't trust the Bills to give Spiller any kind of support, but there's no denying his keeper value.  Since I'm looking for a backup here, I decide to go for the other big keeper value on the board, Dez Bryant.

In this established passing game, I don't expect Bryant to do more this year than have the occassional brilliant outing, and then disappear for a few weeks.  With some luck, he'll be productive during my starting wide receivers' bye weeks when it matters to me.  But this time next year, Bryant will be an early round fantasy draft selection.  Roy Williams will finally be gone, and Miles Austin and Bryant will be considered the most dangerous wide receiver duo since Fitzgerald and Boldin.  What I'm saying is, I'm guessing he'll be worth the sixth round pick it will cost to keep him next year.

Pick 9-4: RB Felix Jones (Dal)

By now I have secured all my offensive starters and have backed up my wide receivers with a strong stand-in option.  It's time to grab a backup running back.  Felix Jones is still available, and the fates have ordained that Jones will overtake Marion Barber this year in that backfield.  I don't expect a lot of consistency here because Dallas is, afterall, a three back committee (Jones, Barber, Choice).  With some luck, his value will rise during the course of the season.

Pick 10- 9: DEF Philadelphia

I have drafted my starting offense plus a backup wide receiver and running back.  I am now "allowed" to go after a defense according to my draft plan.  The New York Jets defense is no longer availabe, but as the consensus #1 defense of 2010, I hardly expected to grab them.  But at this point, a few defenses that I have ranked below Philadlphia were already taken, so I went with my second choice defense in the eleventh round.  In hindsight, Philly may have still been available one or two rounds later, but I would have otherwise taken another running back, and the best option left was still there for my next pick anyway.  I just hope I wasn't wrong to show Philly so much love.

Pick 11-4: RB Carnell Williams (TB)

What I like: Williams is the clear featured back, and with Derrick Ward getting the boot, there is no one there to compete with him.

What I don't like: The Bucs looked pretty lousy last year, and unless a magic spell has been placed on the NFC South that makes the basement team of one year rise to the top of the division the next, Tampa will stink again this year.  Then again... maybe the NFC South is enchanted...

Williams probably won't get the chance to start on my team unless I have injuries at that position.  He's past his prime and needs a strong offensive line and passing game to open it up enough for him to have a good year.  If I have to play him, he'll do something for me, but won't put up big numbers.  That's what I look for in a RB4, but make no mistake, he's on the fringe of my roster and will get dropped if a better option presents itself in free agency (I'm eyeing Chester Taylor right now who is still available in my league).

Pick 12-9: K David Akers (Phi)

I broke a cardinal rule of the fantasy experts by drafting a kicker this early, but all three of the players I took in the last rounds were the guys I would have taken anyway.  So, no harm no fowl I guess.  If it's possible to predict who will have a strong year at kicker and Akers, one of my top choices this year, does well, I'll be happy I made this move.  On the other hand, it might have been a mistake taking the Philadelphia kicker and defense as both will have a bye the same week, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Pick 13-4: QB Chad Henne (Mia)

I can't say that I love this pick (having Roethlisberger as my backup quarterback would have been nice) but I do like it a lot.  With the addition of Brandon Marshall, I think Miami's new quarterback could be in for a surprising season.  He showed a of poise last year in my opinion, and with a strong running game and defense to lean on, he could develop quickly.  If he emerges as a fantasy starter, he has some definite keeper value for an eleventh round pick next year.  If he proves to be no more than a spot-starter, I think he's still a good option playing against Tennessee when Rodgers has his bye.  In short, this is a low risk high reward pick, but if Rodgers gets hurt, I'm in trouble.

Pick 14-9: TE Chris Cooley (Was)

Cooley is a solid backup tight end.  I'll likely start him week one since Owen Daniels is coming back from surgery, and obviously he will stand in for Daniels' bye.  Otherwise, he will probably only see action with my team if Daniels gets hurt, but if that happens, I think Cooley is a solid substitution.  He will have to share catches with Fred Davis, but McNabb will depend on his tight ends a lot this year to bail him out when Moss can't get open.

Pick 15-4: RB Ben Tate (Hou) - IR

I planned on making this pick since about a week before my draft when Tate got injured and was placed on IR.  He could be money as a keeper, and there's no arguing with the thirteenth round pick price it will cost me to hold on to him next year.  He immediately went to one of my IR spots, so he won't even take up space on my roster.  Finally, I decided to do this because I planned on seeking out a wide receiver sleeper from free agency early in the season.  Last year saw the emergence of players like Miles Austin and Steve Smith (both went undrafted in my league) and I suspect that there will be more surprise players at that position again this year.

Free Agency Acquisition: WR Mike Williams (TB)

As of week three in the preseason, it looks like Williams will be the guy in Tampa Bay.  If Tampa is as bad as I think they will be this year, that doesn't count for much.  But there is a chance that Williams will be one of this year's surprise wide receivers.  I will keep my eyes open in the first few weeks of the season and grab someone else if I see something special.  I really hope I succeed at picking up a true wide receiver sleeper because if I do, not only will it help solidify my receiving corps, but I will have another keeper for next year.

So... that's my 2010 fantasy team.  If there are any readers out there, now is the time to make your presence known.  What do you think of my team?  Is there anything I should have done differently?

If you would like to see the complete draft click "Read more" just below (I'm NY Foot Soldiers).  Cheers!

Round 1
1. Andre Johnson - The Cores
2. Chris Johnson - Revis Islanders
3. Adrian Peterson - HgbA1C
4. Maurice Jones-Drew - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Ray Rice - Innane Immunity
6. Drew Brees - MOD
7. Reggie Wayne - taco trali
8. Michael Turner - Philly Chromosomes
9. Frank Gore - Sicker Jets D
10. Ryan Mathews - Currently Nameless
11. Randy Moss - Stat Attack
12. Steven Jackson - Trojans!

Round 2
1. Rashard Mendenhall - Trojans!
2. DeAngelo Williams - Stat Attack
3. Tom Brady - Currently Nameless
4. Roddy White - Sicker Jets D
5. Calvin Johnson - Philly Chromosomes
6. Peyton Manning - taco trali
7. Ryan Grant - MOD
8. Shonn Greene - Innane Immunity
9. Aaron Rodgers - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Matt Schaub - HgbA1C
11. Brandon Marshall - Revis Islanders
12. Antonio Gates - The Cores

Round 3
1. Donald Driver - The Cores
2. Pierre Thomas - Revis Islanders
3. Larry Fitzgerald - HgbA1C
4. DeSean Jackson - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Miles Austin - Innane Immunity
6. Cedric Benson - MOD
7. Tony Gonzalez - taco trali
8. Jamaal Charles - Philly Chrom...
9. Tony Romo - Sicker Jets D
10. LeSean McCoy - Currently Nameless
11. Marques Colston - Stat Attack
12. Philip Rivers Trojans!

Round 4
1. Greg Jennings - Trojans!
2. Arian Foster - Stat Attack
3. Steve Smith (Car) - Currently Nameless
4. Jahvid Best - Sicker Jets D
5. Anquan Boldin - Philly Chromosomes
6. Lawrence Tynes - taco trali
7. Dallas Clark - MOD
8. Steve Smith (NYG) - Innane Immunity
9. Mike Sims-Walker - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Beanie Wells - HgbA1C
11. Chad Ochocinco - Revis Islanders
12. Joseph Addai - The Cores

Round 5
1. Jay Cutler - The Cores
2. Dwayne Bowe - Revis Islanders
3. Jermichael Finley - HgbA1C
4. Ronnie Brown - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Brett Favre - Innane Immunity
6. Hines Ward - MOD
7. New York Jets - taco trali
8. Vernon Davis - Philly Chromosomes
9. Hakeem Nicks - Sicker Jets D
10. Wes Welker - Currently Nameless
11. Brent Celek - Stat Attack
12. Michael Crabtree - Trojans!

Round 6
1. Jason Witten - Trojans!
2. Jeremy Maclin - Stat Attack
3. Greg Olsen - Currently Nameless
4. Jonathan Stewart - Sicker Jets D
5. Kevin Kolb - Philly Chromosomes
6. Michael Bush - taco trali
7. Percy Harvin - MOD
8. Pierre Garcon - Innane Immunity
9. Owen Daniels - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Mike Wallace - HgbA1C
11. Eli Manning - Revis Islanders
12. Derrick Mason - The Cores

Round 7
1. Thomas Jones - The Cores
2. Kellen Winslow - Revis Islanders
3. Malcom Floyd - HgbA1C
4. Santana Moss - NY Foot Soldiers
5. John Carlson - Innane Immunity
6. Robert Meachem - MOD
7. Knowshon Moreno - taco trali
8. Johnny Knox - Philly Chromosomes
9. Matt Forte - Sicker Jets D
10. Brandon Jacobs - Currently Nameless
11. Ahmad Bradshaw - Stat Attack
12. Vincent Jackson - Trojans!

Round 8
1. Minnesota - Trojans!
2. Matthew Stafford - Stat Attack
3. Terrell Owens - Currently Nameless
4. Zach Miller - Sicker Jets D
5. C.J. Spiller - Philly Chromosomes
6. T.J. Houshmandzadeh - taco trali
7. Green Bay - MOD
8. San Francisco - Innane Immunity
9. Dez Bryant - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Joe Flacco - HgbA1C
11. Baltimore - Revis Islanders
12. Ricky Williams - The Cores

Round 9
1. Santonio Holmes - The Cores
2. Todd Heap - Revis Islanders
3. Devin Aromashodu - HgbA1C
4. Felix Jones - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Stephen Gostkowski - Innane Immunity
6. Ben Roethlisberger - MOD
7. Devin Hester - taco trali
8. Matt Ryan - Philly Chromosomes
9. Braylon Edwards - Sicker Jets D
10. Lee Evans - Currently Nameless
11. Donovan McNabb - Stat Attack
12. Carson Palmer - Trojans!

Round 10
1. Marion Barber - Trojans!
2. Visanthe Shiancoe - Stat Attack
3. Kyle Orton - Currently Nameless
4. Darren McFadden - Sicker Jets D
5. Kenny Britt - Philly Chromosomes
6. Josh Scobee - taco trali
7. Jerome Harrison - MOD
8. Reggie Bush - Innane Immunity
9. Philadelphia - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Austin Collie - HgbA1C
11. Sidney Rice - Revis Islanders
12. Nate Kaeding - The Cores

Round 11
1. David Garrard - The Cores
2. Rian Lindell - Revis Islanders
3. Dustin Keller - HgbA1C
4. Carnell Williams - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Heath Miller - Innane Immunity
6. Mason Crosby - MOD
7. New Orleans - taco trali
8. Bernard Berrian - Philly Chromosomes
9. Vince Young - Sicker Jets D
10. Laurence Maroney - Currently Nameless
11. LaDainian Tomlinson - Stat Attack
12. Steve Breaston - Trojans!

Round 12
1. Garrett Hartley - Trojans!
2. Jabar Gaffney - Stat Attack
3. Ryan Longwell - Currently Nameless
4. Anthony Gonzalez - Sicker Jets D
5. Justin Forsett - Philly Chromosomes
6. Marcedes Lewis - taco trali
7. Eddie Royal - MOD
8. Alex Smith - Innane Immunity
9. David Akers - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Rob Bironas - HgbA1C
11. Mark Sanchez - Revis Islanders
12. Matt Prater - The Cores

Round 13
1. Jeremy Shockey - The Cores
2. Kevin Smith - Revis Islanders
3. Pittsburgh - HgbA1C
4. Chad Henne - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Jacoby Jones - Innane Immunity
6. Nate Washington - MOD
7. Clinton Portis - taco trali
8. Mario Manningham - Philly Chromosomes
9. Donald Brown-  Sicker Jets D
10. New York Giants - Currently Nameless
11. Cincinnati - Stat Attack
12. Joshua Cribbs - Trojans!

Round 14
1. Fred Jackson - Trojans!
2. Dexter McCluster - Stat Attack
3. Chris Chambers - Currently Nameless
4. Kevin Walter - Sicker Jets D
5. Dallas - Philly Chromosomes
6. Mohamed Massaquoi - taco trali
7. Devery Henderson - MOD
8. Julian Edelman - Innane Immunity
9. Chris Cooley - NY Foot Soldiers
10. Willis McGahee - HgbA1C
11. Roy Williams - Revis Islanders
12. Indianapolis - The Cores

Round 15
1. Tim Hightower - The Cores
2. Phil Dawson - Revis Islanders
3. Demaryius Thomas - HgbA1C
4. Ben Tate - NY Foot Soldiers
5. Miami - Innane Immunity
6. Darren Sproles - MOD
7. Antonio Bryant - taco trali
8. Robbie Gould - Philly Chromosomes
9. Ted Ginn Jr. - Sicker Jets D
10. Brad Smith - Currently Nameless
11. David Buehler - Stat Attack
12. Montario Hardesty - Trojans!

TOMORROW'S POST: Finding A Sleeper In Free Agency

4 comments:

  1. "if you keep a player, you have to give up a draft pick two rounds higher than where that player was drafted the previous year"

    What if you keep your first or second rounder? How's that work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I have Ronnie Brown too and he scares the hell out of me... pray for good health

    ReplyDelete
  3. With our keeper rules, you can't keep a first or second round pick.

    Also, the price of holding onto a player goes up by two rounds every year you hold onto him. So, if you hold onto a 7th round selection, it will cost a 5th round pick for the second year, and a 3rd round pick for the third year. You can only keep a player for a maximum of 3 years as well. This keeps anyone from building and holding a dynasty in our league.

    On the other hand, a 15th round selection only costs a 13th round to keep, so the incentive is to find a sleeper before he breaks out and get him cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS-Other running backs that come with a high risk of injury are still being drafted in the first round this year (Steven Jackson, Frank Gore). I don't think Brown is any more likely to get hurt than those guys, but with Brown, at least you get a lower price for the risk.

    If you took Brown in the early middle rounds, after acquiring elites at QB, RB, and WR, then taking Brown was a good move and will pay off if he remains healthy. However, I will be paying attention to the free agent and trade markets for a solid backup, and I suggest you do the same. I may even aquire Ricky Williams as insurance if I can get the right price.

    ReplyDelete